I don’t know about you but I find that the most difficult thing about moving away is saying goodbye, to friends, family and especially my boyfriend, but there are a few things you can do to make the move away a little easier.
- Make sure you meet up anybody important before you leave, and try to organise terms as to when you will next meet. That way either side will have unrealistic expectations. For example some of my friends have agreed to visit my Uni, and I have agree to visit them at theirs, but with other friends we found that it would be easier to meet at home.
- Prioritise people! Although it is sometimes difficult to decide who you’re going to see, it is almost impossible to meet up with everyone across the term! You’re going to be super busy with work, exams, and your social life at Uni!
- Don’t get too disheartened if you don’t stay in touch with everybody. Nobody moves away expecting to lose people, and it is difficult when it happens, but it is only natural that you will become distant with some people, but chances are you will find other friends at uni, either on your course or in your flat and you will become just as close if not closer.
- Remember people who matter! Especially when it comes to parents. Remember they’re going to miss you probably more than you will miss home, so where you probably don’t want them visiting every weekend, don’t forget to make time to Skype them or call them and visit home regularly! This will help to reduce homesickness whilst showing them you aren’t too caught up in your social life.
- My final tip is my most enjoyable, show them you love them…we probably don’t tell our friends enough how much we do, or show them, but moving away is the perfect opportunity to give them something to remember you by … I spent my summer compiling a ‘Moving away’ box for my boyfriend, with small gifts that have bigger meaning, and of course lots of inside jokes. It has a personal quality and was enjoyable to make too…
Do you have any good tips for adjusting to moving away from everyone?